Friday, January 30, 2009

Three card draw: Body-Mind-Spirit?

A few months ago I decided a 'back to basics' approach might be best for my tarot studies right now. My decision to use the Hanson-Roberts decks is largely influenced by that, and the Primary Deck Reflections (PDR) is right up my alley. For one year, I will reflect on this deck in some manner at least once per week. I have been concentrating on 3 card readings for myself, using the Body-Mind-Spirit format. I am well acquainted with each of the card meanings, and I can usually find a meaning that matches for the particular position in a spread. What needs further development is tying it all together. Seeing the bigger picture.


6 of Cups - 5 of Pentacles - Temperance

So at first, same old thing, this card mean this, this card means that. After letting it sit for a while, playing around putting the cards in different order, different positions (not in a line), I am feeling the meanings come pouring in (look out-here comes that wave!) In challenging times of mental stress I seek out creature comforts, but to keep my spirit healthy I have to remember to keep it in moderation and take the good with the bad. In other words, childishly seeking pleasure can become like a crutch, which isolates us and prevents us from connecting with the divine aspects of our true selves. If like was forever idyllic, we would remain children forever. It is by confronting challenge and crisis that we become balanced and grow into mature spiritual beings. I don't want to go into too many details, but I have acted like a child this week, and isolated myself as a result. Luckily it is only temporary, and pretty easily resolved I'm sure.

5 comments:

  1. Commenting on my own post...I received an ebay package today and in it was a card with a Chinese Proverb, "A gem cannot be polished without friction Nor a man perfected without adversity." Yep, that's what I meant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you played around with the cards to get the most sense out of them. I find that approach often refreshing.

    We all have bad days and weeks, glad you can be easily sorted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the synchronicity of the reading and the proverb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a good idea to re-arrange the cards until the meaning comes through. I like that. It sounds like the cards really came to your aid here and pointed out your detrimental behavior in a way that helped you to stop it. Tarot is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the idea of rearranging the cards to get more insight.

    ReplyDelete